and India it is! NCL don't normally fly to places where people aren't interested in a 2 week package but luckily, DBX is becoming one of those places. A comfy Emirates flight. I swapped my 3 seats to that of 2 with a woman who had 2 kids. It would have been rude not to. I had 2 seats and the front row so there was heaps around for as previously mentioned, long legs! Bill Bryson, Baileys and some chick flicks made the time pass quickly. If you speak my language in terms of food, who would have thought that DBX would have a Paul....French (we love all things French) Bakery. I didn't indulge in the macarons but will for sure on the way back. Boarding to Chennai was crazy. I have never seen so much duty free purchased. So when they said they would board us in groups this was enough reason for all passengers to surge forward with their flipping duty free. Anyway, Pauline's hand luggage 1-0 Over Purchased Duty Free (sorry for talking about myself in third person)
The flight to Chennai was none eventful. Being served curry for brekkie didn't phase me but it did make me giggle as ordinarily it's from the previous night's take away.
So maybe I have been pretty naive when I took on this job. When people said I was going to get a huge culture shock I wasn't really listening. I was so overwhelmed when I exited the airport. It was chaos. Thousands of people everywhere and it became pretty daunting when you realise you don't know who you are looking for or have their number. I applied my well known deep breathing technique when I get stressed or want to cry. Luckily, they eventually called me....after an hour in the heat with the flies.
The culture shock hit me straightaway. There really are cows roaming the streets. Words and pictures can't even describe what I have seen over the last week. India is such a colourful place in every sense of the word. It's very humbling and it made me realise that the Marc Jacobs bag I have my eye on doesn't really matter.Everyone has been so kind and appeasing (just like the shop assistants down Michigan Ave) Why did I think that nobody was going to be tickled by the Chinese looks and English accent like they are in middle America because that's all people have asked about. We know I can't drive but I am sure I could here. It's crazy. Nobody keeps to the lanes and I didn't realise that the preferred mode of transport, is auto rickshaw or a motorbike. People hang off the buses as they're so cramped. I will never complain about the number 4 bus ever again!
Again, my naivety allowed to take myself out with my camera. I was the only non Indian person for a 20 km radius. The first time I went into the slums and this man started chasing me shouting "photo photo" My Birks couldn't carry me fast enough and yesterday I thought the little girls were being so cute wanting to be photographed but of course they wanted rupees.
I have been so careful with the food. I got really sick in Chicago with the milk but who would have thought my gut would cooperate. Devastated as I was banking on shedding a few lbs. I was reminded that I won't get a good burger in Chennai, no probably not as it's predominantly vegetarian but flipping heck there is only so much potatoes, rice, lentils and peas anybody can eat and I would even put up with a Maccas right now. I sampled my first and I also hasten to add, my last, massage yesterday. I was traumatised. It was just too naked for this prude and then the masseuse poured half a bottle of Crisp and Dry into my hair and it's taken a $8 mini bottle of Bumble and Bumble and 2 x hotel shampoos to wash it out.
I have seen so many things that I wouldn't see in my everyday life, cows roaming the streets, autorickshaws, babies on motorbikes, monkeys in the wild, fresh durians, Rajiv Gandhi's assassination spot and a decapitated man!
India, it's been a pleasure and I know I will see you very soon but next stop is Prague.

Hey Wongy,
ReplyDeleteWhen're you in Prague? I'll be there on the 3rd and 4th, do the timelines coincide?
KK
You are helping me put some of my omg I have moved from the place I have lived for the last 7 years into perspective... and I only moved one mile south-east! You will have to chat to A about her first massage experience... lets just say she misunderstood me when I told her down to what level of clothing to remove hee LMAO just thinking about that one! Keep up the blog and keep smiling! JIn xx
ReplyDelete