My first work's trip for 2011 was my third and final trip to Belgrade. I don't think that place can get old because it really does show great hospitality by genuine people and it's a beautiful city but a five hour lay over in CDG does get old quick especially when you are flying JAT airlines and stuck in the what I can imagine purgatory to be like! Dear Terminal 2B, you are so inferior to your cousins, 2E and 2F. The disappointment was immense. I felt like Mehran Karimi Nasseri.
I have stayed in the same hotel in Belgrade on three different occasions and I have always known that the bathroom is built for tall people but for some reason this one seemed like it was built for giants. I had to erect scaffolding to reach for the towels off the towel rack and I would have failed the task if I had to hook it on the towel peg. It was all a little too crystal maze to reach them and my reward would have been 2 starchy towels.
The work week was followed by a wedding in Leicester. Who said my life wasn't glamorous? I stayed in a hotel off the motorway where the shower cubicle was in the actually room as there was no separate bathroom. Hmmm, hotel? I think more motel.
I don't know how but I have managed to avoid the Wetzlar office for the last 8 months but the time came were I had to go to Germany, again....3 times in less than a year. It was our DSA meeting and on the second night the agenda said we had an event to attend. We didn't know where we were going but a short bus journey to took us to a club on an industrial estate. We had to queue and wait for the club to open but there were a heap of good looking youths of today, also waiting in the queue too which I thought was strange The surprise was that we were going to see a magician. He was very vocal in his native tongue......German. So for the time he was on the stage which felt like those 5 hours in CDG again, I had no clue what he was doing for 95% of the time. Our company had a VIP section as we had a cold buffet dinner....in a night club. When he finished they quickly cleared the stage replacing the crap but apparently very famous magician (he was no Siegfried or Roy) with a DJ in an argyle jumper who was mixing up the "best" Euro beats. My colleague and I from Brazil were counting down the time for when we thought we were getting picked up but then another colleague noticed there was a huge security present in the club, I asked our cute little waiter what was going on and he told me Paris Hilton was coming to the club. I didn't believe him and put a wager on it too. Well, it was a flipping media frenzy and then the paparazzi stormed our VIP section as Paris H, her very self, was making her way to the VIP section next to ours. She obviously didn't get the memo that casual was the order of the day as I was wearing Uggs, boyfriend jeans and the top I had worn for work and she looked far too over dressed in sky scraper heels, mini mini dress and fur coat. Ridiculous. Her security guard said she was 'ungry' but for some reason she didn't want to snack at our left overs from the cold buffet. I thought the Omsk trip had been my most surreal experience but I think being in a night club, in Uggs, which was located on an industrial estate in Germany on a school night sitting less than 10 meters away from Paris Hilton
This may top the poll so far. What's best is that I didn't pack my camera and this is the first time I haven't taken my camera with me because why would I need it in Wetzlar so please excuse the terrible photo taken with a BlackBerry.
This trips ends with the 4th hotel in 8 days and this is actually in AMS. Now I really know how Mehran Karimi Nasseri felt but luckily I know I am leaving in the morning and not in 18 years.
![]() |
| One Night In Paris - Night Vision Goggles as she's pretty used to this! |

That girl gets around! Remember, she was in Vegas (at a club) when we were there for meetings?
ReplyDeletePauline, you are hilarious. Clearly you were meant to be wearing Paris Hilton-style skyscraper heels in that Belgrade bathroom - how else does a normal-sized girl get to those stratospheric towels?
ReplyDelete